Friday, September 12, 2008

harvest time

If I haven't posted in a looong time, blame Fall. The green beans went on a producing rampage and had to be dealt with virtually all at once. Then the carrots, then the cabbages etc. and so on............

The excitement of preserving your own food is soon dulled with the panic of trying to get it all done before everything goes to rot. Is it possible I ever lamented the lack of garden squash? Will I ever be able to look at another cabbage and feel anything but chagrin? Did I mention that harvesting frenzy coincides with back-to-school?

And what kind of masochist home schools 3 children at once? Apparently I do. "Le sigh"
All kidding aside, it has been a great success. I am so grateful to The Community Garden for giving me the confidence to start a home garden. The amount of food the gardens have provided our family is substantial. We had the pleasure of fresh vegetables all spring and summer and probably most of this fall to come.

In a nutshell:

Successes- lettuce, cabbage, swiss chard, radishes, green beans, green onions, carrots, yellow squash, spinach.

mildly successful- cucumber,celery, peas, mustard greens, tomatoes

Failures- Okra, pumpkin

"The jury is still out"- corn and beets


Here's a new one- location had everything to do with success. Green onions did well at the community garden and absolutely tanked in my front yard.

Spinach also did well at the garden but was much less abundant at home. Lettuce fared equally well both places.

Next years plan- Trellis climbing beans up the side of the house, plant potatoes, ditch the okra.

The laundry room is knee-high in dirty clothes (no joke), the house is a mess, beans and carrots sit downstairs awaiting their final destiny. Tempted as I am to run and hide (mommy who?), it's time to go to bed and rest up for the next round.

cheerfully,
EJ

No comments: