I just planted my third (and hopefully final) garden. Corn, squash, and tons of beans. Thanks to my friends Leona and Marvin, this one should do very well. The bed is raised which Leona says means you can plant more veggies closer together.
This garden space also features a drip system so we don't need to babysit it much or worry about it drying out.
What was SUPER interesting about Marvin and Leona's garden is that they have two large raised beds with only 1 tomato plant in each bed. Just 1! The rest of the bed is bright orange plastic mulch and they are domed in a clear plastic frame.
Noting that the beds were about 4' by 15' (rough guess), I couldn't help but ask her where the other plants were. " Oh, that one tomato plant will spread out and fill the whole space," Leona assured me. Wow. How is that possible?
But it obviously is possible because Leona is a seasoned gardener and she has done this all before. I can't wait to see how it works out. Just think of the money you could save by not planting a whole fleet of tomato plants!
This week I will try to get out and get pics of the new garden space plus Leona's tomato beds. Until then, take care and God Bless!
-E
Planning for the Future
-
It was a very hot day in Memphis, and my sister Joy and I had a most
unpleasant, sticky task...cleaning out our mom's attic. In the years
following Mom...
8 years ago

2 comments:
I am so impressed with your gardening skills, despite how much you make yourself seem like a novice. Not only with the tomatoes, just think of how much $$ you save in general. All the veggies you are planting sure do add up at the grocery store! I look forward to the pics :).
I tried to plant some seeds out in our "planter" next to the driveway, I think 2 weeks ago. I think everything died before it got a chance to grow. I water it everyday, but it dries up almost instantly, or leaves a puddle on top of the "soil." Someday... someday... lol
wow, thats interesting that a tomoatoe plant will take that much space! I am impressed.
Post a Comment