Saturday, October 4, 2008

What to do with green tomatoes

It's pouring rain in October. Some blight is overtaking the tomatoes. The plants are heavy with large, green fruits that will not ripen before succumbing to either the blight or the weather. What's a girl to do? Turn the internet! Twenty minutes of browsing yielded a fascinating jam recipe.

So at 8 pm, Max, Richard, Dante' and I stood in the unlit community garden cutting green tomatoes from the vine. I got home to find my friend Coral was visiting. "Aren't you going on vacation tomorrow?", she asked. Well, yeah. "Are you packed yet?", she pressed. um, no. How do I explain an almost obsessive need to can and preserve the fruits of our labor? (all puns and cliche's aside)

The outcome is 5 pints of very tasty but odd jam. Odd because it calls for pureeing the green tomato, boiling it for 15 minutes with sugar, then pulling it off the heat and adding raspberry jello from the box. Amazingly, it tastes like raspberry jam.

My personal thanks to whomever came up with this recipe. It saved a lot of tomatoes.

-EJ
btw, anyone with a good green tomato recipe send it to me please

3 comments:

Annie said...

Fried green tomatoes?

I was just thinking yesterday that with all this rain, the weather is probably not going to turn to sunny and warm tomato ripening weather anytime soon and I should probably figure out what to do with all my green tomatoes. We're not having any blight issues, but lots and lots of green tomatoes.

Martha Smith said...

Yes, Fried Green Tomatoes. Well, it's an idea. You could google a recipe, I don't fry much anymore, they are very good, and good with Ranch dressing. Also, I don't know how GREEN your tomatoes are, but you could try harvesting them putting them and putting them under some bright fluorescent lights. They will ripen after being pulled on sunny window sills, and it is well known that plants like fluorescent light. It's worth a shot if you're going to lose them?! Yes/no?

MissEllen said...

Yeah, those are good ideas. I do love fried green tomatoes. yummy.