
As winter has progressed, our shelves of canned goods have dwindled. All the work was worth it, though. Just last night I lacked a little something to spruce up a rather plain chicken dinner. Then I found the last jar of cranberries on a back shelf. It was just what we needed.
All winter we have enjoyed our own blackberry jams, applesauce, pickled beets , squash, and dilly beans. I've used the canned tomatoes and pears. There isn't really much left except some jam and regular pressure canned green beans.
Dante' finds it exciting when I authorize her to go to the basement and bring up some home canned goods. She regards it as 'shopping' at our house.
And I have to say, our homemade jams and pickles have really helped when I've needed a gift for someone but found myself short on cash. I pack a box with canned goodies and Dante' crochets a cute dish cloth to go with it. That little trick has saved my butt more than once.
So here we are in February with supplies running low. Which is fine. We weren't dependent on it. It was just our first experiment in the realm of growing/canning. I have vowed to grow 2-3 times the amount of food this summer than we did last year. It's fun, it keeps us busy and we don't have to eat supermarket veggies from Argentina all winter.
Hurry up, Spring! I want to get down-n-dirty in the garden.
itching to plant,
-EJ

No comments:
Post a Comment