Monday, March 9, 2009

Making playdough


A basic recipe:

2 C flour
1 C salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp oil
2 C water
food coloring

Mix all the ingredients except the food coloring into a saucepan and and stir over medium heat until it gathers together and forms a dough. This takes about 5-6 minutes. Cool it and then knead it until it's easy to work with. Separate into balls and add food coloring of your choice.

* I've made this recipe for my kids in the States of Kansas, Virginia, and Oregon. Oregon is the only place it doesn't work so well in. The dough is great for about 1 day and then it gets gooey, even in an airtight container. If you live in an extra-humid environment like ours , you might want to try something else.

Any suggestions?



2 comments:

Annie said...

This is the recipe I've used, pretty similar to yours but the quantities are a little different, a lot less oil and more cream of tartar--wonder if that makes the difference?:

1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1teaspoon vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients in medium saucepan. Stir in water and oil. Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until mixture forms a ball in the center of the pan. Remove to a floured surface and knead for 1 minute (will be hot!)

Also, sometimes instead of adding the food coloring, I'll dump one packet of kool aid into it while I'm cooking it--it makes great colors and it smells really good! We've had this stuff last for months and months around here. If it gets a little sticky I'll knead a bit more flour in, but it's not usually a problem.

JessZ said...

That sounds fun!