Truth be told, I never really considered myself the gardening type. Not that I'm sure what the gardening type would be, if there was one. But it does bring to my mind images of Teva wearing, granola-eating naturalists, or perhaps little old ladies in straw hats wearing flower print gloves. All kidding and stereotyping aside, gardening is my new passion.
It all started with my husband and I complaining about gas and food prices. Four of our five kids are teens, three of the four teens are boys: We go through A LOT of food! Dinner at my house resembles a highschool cafeteria more than anything else. (use your imagination on this one)
My husband had just finished a retaining wall out front with the intention of planting decorative shrubs and whatnot between the yard and street. My brilliant idea was to plant a garden and augment our food supply. Husband reluctantly agreed. (He still maintains our house looks like the Clampit's)
If you've never planted anything in your life , I highly recommend you try it. Nothing beats the thrill of seeing the first tiny seedling reach spindly tips toward the sun. We are now eating salads at dinner every night made almost exclusively of our own greens. Its a hoot to pop out the front door to pick lettuce for dinner!
The corn and greenbeans are doing well. The swiss chard is monstrous and bullying the greenbeans. The lettuce is really taking off and even the peas seem to getting taller. However, the green onions and okra look rather sad. Okra grows so well in the South its probably wondering how the heck it got into a yard on the Oregon Coast. I'm taking its lack of growth as a personal statement. As for the green onions, who knows? But it is good, solid entertainment. Literally. I had a neighbor jokingly inform me that watching the garden won't make it grow faster. Perhaps that's my cue to find another hobby. And if I do, you'll hear about it. I promise.
-EJ

No comments:
Post a Comment