Monday, July 14, 2008

Truer words..........

"The only way to avoid criticism is to say nothing,  do nothing,  be nothing."  Deceased advice columnist Ann Landers has been credited with this quote.  If that is the case, Ann was a vastly underrated woman. 

What I love about this quote is that it sets the reader free from his/her dependence on popular opinion as ego fodder.   We live in a time in which being famous is revered above all else. It doesn't even seem to matter what you become famous for, just so long as you are! With fame comes  the incessant speculation of the general public and it is all downhill from there.  The public is certainly not known for extending grace and understanding to those it has elevated to such a status. 

my point is this: Whether they admit it or not, too many people care what the world thinks of them. Many of us, myself included, wasted our teens and twenties trying to be funny, fashionable, popular, or liked. Years ago, even the smallest slight from another person had the power to cripple me for at least a day or two.

To this day I am acquainted with some wonderful people who don't have much to say. They are kind, sweet, polite- all the "safe" adjectives you can think of. And I would trade all that formality for one good meaty conversation.  It is okay to disagree from time to time. Take a moment every now and then to be 'Unpopular'. It isn't necessary to be rude or abrasive, just hold to your convictions without fear. 

In the end, only God's opinion matters. If I am trying to please Him, I will always find true peace  and acceptance. 

No comments: