Phil is in the shower, Max is watching 'Handy Manny' on playhouse Disney, I'm debating making breakfast. The kitchen countertop is littered with literally hundreds of Chanterelles. Already it looks like home around here.
Yesterday we piled into the car and went searching for wild mushrooms. Phil and I found what we thought was a logging road and parked the car. After hitting the Chanterelle 'motherload', we drove back down the mountain only to discover we were locked in. It turns out we had been parked on private property. The owners had left for the day and blocked off our only way out. In the end, a sweet older gentleman named Jim came to our rescue. Jim had a key for gate and before long we were on our way.
Later in the day we took Max to oldtown. There are two docks below the boardwalk that are a favorite daytime hangout for sealions. They just lie there all day barking loudly, napping, and putting on displays of dominance over each other. These sealions are astonishingly large. Their mammoth bodies are covered in thick fur. Why did I think they would have shiny, smooth skin? Tourists crowd the boardwalk taking pictures of these gregarious show-offs.
Planning for the Future
-
It was a very hot day in Memphis, and my sister Joy and I had a most
unpleasant, sticky task...cleaning out our mom's attic. In the years
following Mom...
8 years ago

2 comments:
Hmm, I'm confused. I commented upon this post, I know I did, but it never showed up. Either it glitched or I'm going crazy . . . hmm, never mind. I can't remember exactly what I said anymore but I think the original comment poked gentle fun at you getting locked in. I'm sure I commented upon your mushrooms as well because I was drying some in our dehydrator at the very moment I was reading your post and remember laughing at the coincidence.
Ack, this is now longer than the original comment! I'd better go :-P.
cool, what were you dehydrating?
Post a Comment