Wednesday, October 15, 2008

mounds of mint

It's been said that in case of nuclear holocaust , only cockroaches and Hostess Twinkies would survive. Or maybe George Hamilton. That man has more preservatives in him than an embalmed cadaver. But I digress...
Allow me to add the lowly mint plant to the "post-armagedon party" guest list. This stuff grows anywhere. With a little encouragement, mint could grow in the Le Brea tar pits. I swear it has the half-life of Mc Donald's french fries. (anyone seen "supersize me"?) Have I made my point?

That said, be careful where you plant mint, as it is a notorious garden bully. Thus we come to the crux of today's post. My friend Coral has a mutinous patch of mint threatening to dominate the entire back yard. Mowing has only made it stronger and more determined. She was more than happy to let me take some home. After my verbal assault on mint, why would I want to take some home? Answer: Mint tea and mint jelly.

My kids love mint tea. They drink it like water. And I , like a dork, have been buying it at the grocery store. So today, as I lugged home a trashbag full of mint, I gleefully added up cash savings in my head. As I write this, the first batch of mint is drying in the dehydrator.

Tomorrow,if time allows, I would love to conjure up a batch of mint jelly. Yummy. Thank you Coral!

3 comments:

Kim said...

A mint growing hint! Plant it in a pot burried in the ground. Those pesky roots stay insde the pot for the most part and do not take over your garden. This tip I got from a very good gardener. I tried it ans it worked great. The mint apperaed to be part of the garden, but I pulled it and the pot when I was done and no mint everywhere. I love mint tea too!

MissEllen said...

Kim you rock!That's a very good idea.

Martha Smith said...

Hey Ellen, I know what you mean about mint and it will grow anywhere. But, the scent, oh, that heavenly scent! I once planted some that got away out into the yard - chocolate mint it was - and whenever my husband would mow the grass, I nearly hyperventilated.

Oh, by the way, if anyone ever offers you an Chinese Chives, say "no thankyou." They are the same, but WORSE.