Friday, November 7, 2008

New seeds are in

Seeds Phil and I ordered for spring planting are in. I am really excited because next year we will try some new things. For general veggie planting we ordered:

purple haze carrots
baby bok choi
tiny seedless cucumbers that mature at just 3 in. long
swiss chard of geneva
straightneck squash
organic purple podded climbing beans

For our herb/tea garden we ordered:

Chamomile
catnip
stevia
lemon balm
borage

a couple of months ago I purchased seeds at the grange for 'just in case' reasons'. Those included:

greens- purple oak leaf lettuce, spinach, bright lights swiss chard, leaf lettuce

herbs- English lavender, garlic chives and cilantro seeds saved from this years planting

root veggies- red cored chantenay carrots, cylindrical beets, Kohl rabi, and turnips

onions- walla walla sweets, and scallions

squash- zucchini, patty pan and various winter squash

basics- peas, green beans, corn, lima beans

other- english cucumbers, green peppers, cantaloupe, broccoli, and Zinnia

If we put some planning into it, my hope is that next year's garden will produce even more than this year's. It will be fun to see how some of these 'specialty' veggies turn out.

I'd love to hear from anyone else planning a garden. Let's hear your ideas.
-EJ

No comments: