
Hedgehogs are my favorite mushroom. They are absolutely foolproof. Unmistakable to identify, comparable to Chanterelles in taste, and a superior texture. This is, of course, a totally subjective opinion, but I challenge you to try for yourself.
As you can see from the picture, Hedgehog mushrooms are named for the hundreds of tiny 'teeth' growing under the cap. Take care when collecting them to keep this area clean. Once it's full of dirt, the dirt is there to stay.
Again, many prefer to dry saute' these mushrooms to extract excess moisture. After that, you may use them as you would any mushroom. They are just fantastic by themselves, though. And cute, I might add. But that's just me.
From the top they sometimes appear to be pale Chanterelles, but a quick peek underneath the cap reveals their true identity. They vary in color from white to beige to pinkish. Again, I must advise proper precautions and never eat an UNCOOKED wild mushroom. It is best not to regard them as a salad ingredient. Save store bought mushrooms for that purpose.
Hedgehogs are just coming into season now. Get out and grab some.
-EJ

No comments:
Post a Comment