


Since I keep going on and on about mushroom season on the Oregon Coast, It's only fair to explain some of the different varieties we have to offer. I've talked a lot about Chanterelles , but they are not the only good edible mushroom around here.
The first picture above is of mature shaggy manes. This pic was taken off of the internet. The second two pics were taken of mushrooms we found by the roadside. They show shaggy manes in various stages of maturity.
Don't be too worried about picking and enjoying these mushrooms. They are listed, along with morels, sulfur polypores and puffballs as one the "foolproof four". Although, I'm not sure I agree with that list entirely, (I'll explain later) It really is nearly impossible to get these little guys wrong.
Shaggy manes are best picked when they are just peeking up from the ground (See second and third pictures , the second mushroom from the right). They are best dry sauteed to draw off excess water content. If your feeling adventurous, the internet has a surprising number of recipes featuring this mushroom.
As shaggy manes mature, they become prone to perishing more easily, and this mushroom MUST be eaten the day it is picked! Why? They turn to ink. Seriously. Look closely at the 3rd and 4th mushrooms in pics 2 and 3. See that blackness? Mushroom ink. Very yucky.
A friend of mine swears by these things, though. He has memories of eating them throughout childhood and really liking it.
As always, research them before you try them. Exercise proper caution when selecting and eating a mushroom your not familiar with. Happy 'Shrooming,
-EJ

No comments:
Post a Comment