
Cheese update: No cheese. You can't make mozzarella without citric acid(It's a catalyst for something) and I can't find pure, unadulterated citric acid. Yet.....What I did find was "fruit fresh", a blend of citric and ascorbic acid typically used to preserve fruit. I'm not willing to waste a gallon of milk in finding out if it's an acceptable substitute. darn it.
Garden update: Harvest time! Green and yellow wax beans are coming on strong. Being the nerd that I am, the highlight of my day is shambling out to the garden each morning, coffee in hand , to pick the days supply of beans. For dinner last night we ate a sort of ghoulash (not ghoulish, you smart-alecs!) made from the first cabbages to come from the garden, a good half-pound of grean/wax beans, garlic, left-over roast beef and a can of diced tomatoes. Ordinary, but tasty.
Today I pulled two of the last few lettuces. They were already lost under the canopy of the monstrous squash plants. (more on the squash tomorrow)
Life update: busy, busy couple of weeks. We've all run non-stop. Paxson, Dante' and Richard have had a paying gig clearing my neighbor's overgrown backyard. They did well, She's impressed and they are inivited to work for a week on another property. So the kids spent today in Eugene blowing their newfound wealth on school clothes. Phil and I spent the day with Max in Medford. We went to get encouragement and advice from a pastor friend. Awesome day! On the way home we scored FIFTEEN pounds of greenbeans from a farm stand for just 10 bucks. Tomorrow morning I'm obliged to stand in the kitchen canning the whole blessed lot. Scratch the term 'morning' and just stick with 'tomorrow'.
Kid update: Max is tall , intelligent and real handful. He is proud of the pot of Cosmos he grew.

Paxson, Richard, Dante' and William are gearing up for yet another school year. Paxson is a Senior this year, Will and Richard are Juniors and Dante' a Freshman!
My grandfather has promised to construct a cheese press and soap mold for me. I suspect he find it amusing that my family would actually want to make their own soaps and cheeses. After all, scientific progress relieved him of that necessity years ago. "I'll find you some Alder to make the cheese press", he tells me, "Pine makes cheese smell and taste funny." God Bless Grandpa, he knows the coolest things.

1 comment:
citric acid:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/citric-acid.php
is that what you are looking for? how much do you need? I actually have some from the above link that I bought to make diswashing detergent and if you only need a little you can just come over and get some from me.
Post a Comment