Friday, August 1, 2008

waiting game

A large part of gardening is waiting. Waiting for the first seedlings to emerge, waiting for growth, for blossoms, for tiny fruits or for first harvest. Have I mentioned that patience is a gift I have never opened and given myself?

Every morning I scan the garden for signs of progress. As of this morning the greenbean flowers have finally opened! Tiny little beans will soon appear. The cabbages are forming gorgeous heads and should be ready to pick before long. The green onions are still mocking me. I may never know why.
As for the previously mentioned okra, a confession is in order. I tossed them. Every single one. In my defense, they had refused to grow. Each one had a little "on strike" sign tucked into its leafy appendage. Honestly! In their place, I planted carrots. I think. Or was it beets? Now when I slink by the garden in the mornings I would swear I hear the faintest whispers of "Okra Killer!". sigh......
On a lighter note, the corn have tassles! They are so cute. The peas are climbing happily up the wire trellis and even the carrots are healthy and abundant.

Finally, I offer some suggestions to fill the time while waiting for everything to grow:
1. page thru seed catalogs and plan next years garden
2. Fill a water gun. Hose every neighborhood cat that comes to poop in your garden.
3. Stare at it. I don't care what my neighbor says, it just might make things grow faster.
4. If you mistakenly planted okra, kill it, I mean , pull it.
5. Take pics and blog it. It works for me.
-EJ

No comments: