Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mushrooms!

Last night at dinner,Dante's friend Jamie casually mentioned having picked a 5 lb. bucket of mushrooms. "When was that?" I asked, assuming she was referring to last fall. Jamie blinked. "I dunno, a couple of days ago," she replied. HOLD THE PHONE! A couple of days ago? Sure it's been raining here lately. But its only August. Could it be that while I was lollygagging about in my garden the first tasty Chanterelles of the season had arrived?

This morning found Maxwell, Dante', Richard and myself driving local logging roads in search of our favorite fall delicacy. Dante' and Richard found it necessary to mushroom hunt in the fashion they have created: Clinging to the bumper of my Dodge Caravan whilst scanning the hillsides for any apricot-colored object. I found it necessary to drive in such as way as to try and fling them from the vehicle. Great fun was had by all. Especially by Maxwell who peered out the back window shouting encouragement to the van-clingers.

Hours of searching yielded a modest harvest, but the real damage has already been done. Once again, mushroom fever has set in. I cannot drive without scanning the hillsides for signs of Chanterelles. My daughter and I scan large areas of outback until glassy-eyed and exhausted.

If I'm hard to find for say, oh, the next three months or so, you know where I'll be.

happy foraging,
-EJ

No comments: