Saturday, November 15, 2008

In a pinch

About a month ago my friend Jess gifted me with frozen raspberries. Today I turned them into fabulous homemade jam. I had to. This morning I made biscuits for breakfast. Slathered them with butter. Went to the cupboard-no jam. sigh....... then I remembered the raspberries. Yay!

There weren't quite enough for a full jam recipe so I substituted a cup of blackberries. Here is the recipe:

3 cups raspberries
1 cup blackberries
6 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

Follow the directions in the box of liquid pectin for processing. It is too lengthy to type here but jam making is easy so don't be intimidated. It is a simple matter of boiling the berries with the sugar and pectin then ladling the mixture into sterilized canning jars and boiling that for 10 minutes. easy-peasy. Plus, it tasted better than anything bought at the store.

A suggestion: If you don't want to bother with canning the jam, you can simply follow the directions for freezer jam. Its less complicated so long as you don't mind pulling some out of the freezer to use every so often.
-EJ

2 comments:

Hobby Mama said...

yummy I want some.

JessZ said...

mmmm yummy! I am jealous, you do the best projects!