



I was pondering how I'd answer if someone asked what it is that I do. Homemaker, housekeeper,and 'domestic goddess' flashed through my mind before I settled on Urban Homesteader. Hey, neat title, I thought to myself. Well, it turns out to be hardly an original thought, after all.
Just google it. For years, many folks have long been 'roughing' it on city property for the betterment of their families, their health, and the environment. Great stuff! Hubby was slightly embarrassed when I moved two hens into a cage in the back yard. Well guess what? I just found an article on chicken keeping in the city. Hot dang.
Today Max and I bought liquid rennet and local milk. We are good-to-go on the mozzarella cheese-making front. Comments and pics to posted later, after our experiment.
The garden is amazing. This is my first year, rememember, so you'll be barraged with pics of every fruit and vegetable. I have the fervor of a mother with a newborn. The garden is my baby and you're about to be shown the pics.
Please note(and ogle) our first cauliflower picked yesterday. It is stunning! In just a few days we should be able to pick some greenbeans as well. Little squashes have begun, the spinach is up(previously known as the mystery vegetable)and I will continue to rhapsodize until the season is over.
Blackberries have begun to ripen.More on that later. Dante, the household pie-whisperer,served us our first blackberry pie of the season. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Back to the subject of homesteading. Not everyone can live in the country. My husband and I would love to. Emphasis on love But we simply can't afford a home with adequate acreage for gardening, Dante's horse and all the other animals I would love to someday own. So I do what I can on my own little lot. Like anything else in life, you make the best of what you have. Truthfully, we currently have a wonderful house in a quiet, safe neighborhood.
And now it's time to make cheese. Wish me luck. -EJ

1 comment:
You have chickens now?! I am SO jealous!
Post a Comment