Friday, April 24, 2009

growing challenges and garden pics




The growing season on the Oregon coast isn't as long as in warmer regions. Often to have successful crops we need to plant quick growing varieties of the veggies we want or apply the use of creative gardening gadgets.

There are special "water walls" that when placed around tomato plants maintain the heat they need to grow properly. The use of cloches is another method of protecting plants from the cold and the elements while increasing the temperature of the growing environment. Take a look online or in any gardening catalog for ideas and products that maximize your gardens potential.

One woman I know grows her tomatoes next to her dryer vent. When most people around here are struggling to get just one ripe tomato, she has many. How does that work? Well, a couple of days ago I was told that it is heat, rather than sun that ripens tomatoes. If that's the case, then I may just go to the back yard and plant some tomatoes next to the dryer vent!

Finally, when ordering seeds, try to order from a seed company in your region . Small seed companies tend to carry seeds that work best in the region they are located. For example, I like ordering seeds from Territorial because they offer short season varieties that grow well in our cool climate.

So get gardening! Have fun and good luck!

No comments: