Saturday, April 25, 2009

Has anyone seen this bird?


Weeks ago when I first planted beans at the community, I knew they would take awhile to come up. So I was patient.

But days went by, then a week, then two weeks. No beans. What could be the problem, I wondered? Finally, I planted them all over again. "These will come up!", I tried to reassure myself.

Another week went by- no beans. Today I took my husband with me to check out the garden. " Have you checked to see if the seeds are in the ground?", he asked.

Honestly, I looked at Phil as though he had sprouted a horn right out of the middle of his forehead. Nevertheless, I grabbed a stick and began digging at the ground. Guess what? NO SEEDS!

It's like the opposite of Jack-and-the-Beanstalk. We have magic disappearing seeds.

Phil thinks the crows might be eating them. I think it's time to bake four- and-twenty-blackbirds into a pie. Dang birds.

BTW,the first person to get that reference and reply back to me wins a Dutch Bros Coffee.

much love,
-E

2 comments:

Sarah Green said...

ellen I had the same problen so I started them inside and put them in the window for lots of light an now i have beans growing in my garden!!!! that and i have marty outside with a pellet gun one good pop to the a** and the crows leave my plants alone!!!

MissEllen said...

Let me tell you I would love to shoot them, the nasty buggers. Thanks for letting me know your having the same problem. I was starting to think I had lost it. :)