Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Calendula From Hell

Last weekend I put Dante' and her friends Mariah and Danica to work. They planted most of the seeds that are set aside for the front yard garden.

I started by planting 6 asparagus plants. These things come back every year so that space is permanently occupied. Then the girls planted rows of salad mix, broccoli, soy beans, peas, cabbage, etc.

Each row was labeled with permanent marker on a wooden stake. Now for the challenges:

1. How to keep the cats from digging up the garden and pooping in it.
2. How to keep the dog from digging up the cat poop and eating it.

UGH!!

Today I went outside to admire the garden (such as it is at this point) and discovered soy beans and peas just sitting on top of the soil. What happened??? Probably a combination of two things.
1. Not planted deep enough.
2. watered too much.

At the community garden, plants are popping up everywhere. The problem is, I can't tell what the heck any of it is. Let me explain:

Last year, someone made use of their plot by haphazardly emptying TONS of Calendula seeds into the dirt and then never coming back. This resulted in hundreds of flowers that went to seed last fall. I remember thinking " I pity the poor guy that is assigned that bed next spring!".

Needless to say, that person was ME!! There are not words for how "less than thrilled" I am. Until all the plants are bigger, I have no cotton-pickin clue what is calendula and what isn't. And How many times a week am I gonna be pulling those blasted things out of the garden?

If I find out who planted those things last year, I may drive by their yard and empty packets of calendula seed.


Plotting,
-E

3 comments:

Melissa Henning said...

lol you crack me up!

Yesterday my hubby and I went to Lowes and were looking at plants for our living room (we have a bare spot). We ended up in the section with all of the veggie seeds and starter kits for tomatoes and stuff and my hubby kept handing me stuff that he knew I would like. It was nice but sad at the same time, cause I. am. clueless. I can sit there and look at that stuff for HOURS and just dream. I envy you for having a garden...and actually knowing how to use it! When we lived in WA, I had a beautiful front yard (in front of my apartment) and it had such beautiful flowers and mint! (I didn't plant any of it because my hubby said it was tease doing that in an apartment). Now we are in Vegas, and I am in a HOUSE so I can plant stuff now... it's my mom's hubby's house, so if I plant stuff, at least we will be here for a while, and I can always come back and get stuff--but it's Vegas. Wont anything good die here lol?

I don't know what veggies I can plant that will survive here in the desert and direct sunlight (and extreme temps), but it made me happy to read that some of your veggies will come back. I learned just recently that not everything grows back, so it put that excitement in my heart to plant veggies. I have a whole side of the yard, a front yard and this entire planter next to the driveway that I can plant with, and I am clueless!

Thanks for sharing though and sorry for the long comment! I loved reading this post :).

Annie said...

oh, what a pain! But maybe you can put that calendula to use, it is edible and calendula oil/cream is great for treating cuts/scrapes and burns:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/calendula.php

MissEllen said...

Thank you, Melissa. That means a LOT!
I originally started the garden because my husband put a retaining wall in the front yard. The intention was for us to plant shrubs, flowers and other plants with "curb appeal". But at the time we had 5 kids living in the house and gas was like a gazillion dollars a gallon. So I told him that for just one summer I wanted to plant veggies.
My daughter and I had NO idea what we were doing. We basically just tossed a bunch of seeds into the dirt. We got tons of food out of that little garden space and loved every minute of it.

So don't worry, just plant. I personally think God just blesses our earnest endeavors and attempts to provide for our families.